Provincial Library “José Martí”

The Provincial library "José Martí" of LasTunas city was founded January 28 of 1951 as first Public Municipal Library. It resided in a local of the ground floor of the old City Hall, today Provincial Museum.

With the coup d’état of Batista in March 10 of 1952, the municipal orthodox government was expelled from the power and the library suffers the consequences directly. The services were very limited because they were restricted to the loan and conservation of books, fact that provoked that the same one kept closed.

Jose Marti Library

The Public Municipal Library, today Provincial Library "José Martí" reopened its doors in the same local August 23 of 1960 because of the celebration the 63 anniversary of the taking of Las Tunas.

In September of 1962 it is transferred to the local occupied by first-aid post, current Provincial Culture Ministry for orientation of Abel Sánchez Villalón, culture official in that time.

Faced with necessity of a bigger space to offer their services, January 28 of 1963 move to the local that occupies at the moment, new rooms were created and the librarian fund increased, with the rising improvement of the services.

When being approved the new political-administrative region in 1975, Las Tunas transform into province and at the same time, the public library transforms into Provincial Library José Martí. The Provincial Library José Martí took on starting from that moment a very important role in the application of methodologies and orientations to the system of public libraries of the territory.